Dark O'Clock X-C

Dark O'Clock X-C
Early morning cross country run from Flitwick to Luton

Thursday 19 April 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen I present walMart....

Day 110 Thursday 19th April 12.6 miles : miles to date 740 A lighter week of running in mileage terms for me this week, meant I put in an extra four miles before tonight's club cross country tempo session. The usual suspects were present on my return to the meeting point and off we shot heading for a fairly long although not too steep climb by the side of the Millbrook testing track. The first section winds its way upwards and whilst it is gradual, it does go on for a bit and the burn can be felt as we climb. Towards the end, its a sharp right and up a very steep but small section, with a slightly longer climb a tad further on. I have been known to walk this section, but tonight I felt surprising good and kept a steady pace up to the top. At that point I spied two of the chaps in front, one of whom has been mentioned twice by me this week already. I cant name him again, as he might think I am stalking him. Lets just call him walMart. Anyway, I pressed the gas a tad and slipped by the first and settled onto the shoulder of walMart, who took that as a signal to speed up. I managed to stay with him, although when we began catching the whippets (where he should have been), I was doing all I could to hang on. A half mile further on and I had to slow a touch and found myself betwix and between the two groups that had developed. I tried to stay within sight of the whippets as we climbed another hill to reach the outskirts of the new Centre Parc development, but lost them as they dived into the woods. I was later to find out that they and the group behind me turned left in the woods and I turned right, which meant a very, very muddy and quite last two miles back for me from whence we came. Another top session in the bag, albeit with half of Centre Parcs mud splattered all over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment